Saturday, July 9, 2011

Blue Flowers... anyone?

Hey there... Remember I told you about the Puerto Rico Scrapbook Event celebrated last month? Well... one thing we did was to swap flowers among all scrap-bookers. We identified with a sign saying "swap with me"... or we asked each other if were interested on swapping. I ended up with several handmade flowers, all from different girls, different styles and got to share with some of these girls... so it was fun.

The flowers I made were blue roses... yeah... crazy blue roses and it was fun to make them and to go through all the process (even though I went to sleep very late that night because I wanted to have enough flowers to swap...).

I want to show you how I made them...

First... I identified this fabric I had left from another project and thought it was good for what I had in mind. I think the fabric is organza but don't take my word. But it has to be a light fabric that shrinks when heated. Don't use cotton or any other fabric that does not shrink, but simply gets fired... If you see flames and the fabric simply disappear when heated... Be careful...


I cut several circles in three different sizes from small to medium, and large...

Then, using a candle I carefully burned the edges without letting it burned too far, just enough to shrink the edges and create a darker curly effect.




I put together 3 circles of different sizes for each rose and kept it together with these "flower center seeds" (I don't know how to call them but these are to use for the center of flowers). I decided to use these seeds but it could be something else. You can also glue the circles together and place a button in the center, or simply sew them...

I ended up with more flowers than I could swap, so I will have blue flowers in a lot of projects very soon... Want to swap with me?

1 comment:

Karin said...

I mi me encantaron las flores, yo la tengo en espera de una tarjeta que voy a hacer. A mí también me sobraron pero no tantas así que decoré mi bulto de scrap y tengo pendiente dos de las flores para una cuadro que voy a hacer. Así que ya no me quedarán flores del swap.

Saludos